Saturday, October 25, 2008

Exhale

I've written three drafts of blogs over the last several weeks that I never actually posted. So instead of posting the out-dated stories, I'll just recap a bit.

I've been without Ted at work for about a month now. Here are before and after pictures of the office.

I went on a great hike in the Alps several weeks ago. You know the song from Cinderella "so this is love....mmmmm....mmmm...?" That's how I feel about the Alps. Being there was such a great getaway time for me and God. Here are some pictures.

Two weeks ago I was missing five points (my favorite spot in Birmingham AL). I spent the weekend reading The Shack (which I would love to discuss with anyone else who has read it) and found myself wishing to be sitting in downtown Birmingham around the busyness of people instead of sitting alone on my picturesque balcony in Germany. A few days later, I went to Loerrach (where I go to the various government offices every few days) just to explore the city and had such a great time with God. I don't even know how to articulate what was so special about it, but I felt like I was on a date--just the level of intimacy and excitement I had talking things over with God. Very cool. And then it was a cherry on top when I realized that the place I had been sitting for a quite a while was where five roads converge and people mill around... five points Loerrach. I felt like God was giving me a little gift.

This past Sunday I went to some castle ruins in Staufen with the Winslows (fellow BFAers) and their friend/might as well be son, Denton. It was gorgeous, but my favorite thing was making a nonBFA friend who has a similar sense of humor. It was so refreshing to not be asked questions about visas, taxes, and travel arrangements!This week was the first time I've felt overwhelmed in this job. It hit me one morning that it was not physically possible fo me to get everything done that needed to be done. So I belted out a few verses of "In Christ Alone" and asked for patience with myself. Not everything I wish could've been done got done, but life goes on.

Wed, Thurs and Friday were tough for sure with the weight of the things that weren't getting done. So today I vegged...all day in my sweats, ate a whole pizza by myself, watched a movie, laughed a lot with my new complicated friend Denton, and it was exactly what I needed. I fell short on my laughing quota this week, so I had to make up the deficit today.

So, right now, things are good. After a few days of holding my breath, I'm finally exhaling. There is a lot of work to do this week, but it's a 4 day week!! No school Friday. And I get to go to Herbstmesse (like Evansville's Fall Festival) next weekend. Bring on the festival foods.

No comments: