Friday, December 26, 2008

1019

When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.
Proverbs 10:19
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/jackgreen7/cow_tongue.jpg

I love when God brings righteous conviction through watching someone else lead his or her normal life. A verse that has been a 2x4 to my mind and heart for the last several years is Prov 10:19. I can justify running my mouth as venting, asking for advice, or even asking for prayer. But it is probably the most obvious sign of my human depravity.

Recently, I was challenged and encouraged by a friend who apologized for something she said to me about someone else several months ago. I really wanted to thank her for the reminder, but I was afraid she would interpret that as cynically meaning "thanks for making me feel guilty for what I just said 5 minutes ago. I'll be sure to watch what I say around you." So I just smiled, thanked her for being obedient to repent, and made a mental note to emulate her as she emulates Christ.


Because I want to be glorifying Christ and not flaunting my old sinful nature, I've been studying the ways in which we sin with our tongues. And let me tell you, there are so many more ways than just lying...

Lying is an obvious misuse of the tongue. Prov 25:18 says a man who lies is like a sword or sharp arrow. Prov 6:17 states the Lord hates lying- that a liar will be broken beyond repair. Flattery in Psalm 5:9 comes from the open tomb of a throat, leading to inward destruction. Those are harsh words to be paired with flattery. Words of flattery (not to be confused with genuine compliments, but trite platitudes) in Psalm 12:3 also go along with proud words. David prays that the Lord "cut off all flattering lips and the tongue that speaks proud things." The overused tongue in Ecclesiastes 5:2-3 sounds all too familiar to me:

"Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words."

Sometimes when I'm talking I can hear how foolish I sound, but the words just keep spilling out along with my pride. I argue with myself: maybe if I keep going I'll be able to recover and fix all this.

God says in Prov. 18:13 that folly and shame are his who has a swift tongue and speaks before he listens. We should, instead, "be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" (Jas 1:19). The backbiting tongue of Prov 25:23 "brings angry looks" and is in the same category as murder, hatred of God, and "every kind of wickedness" in Romans 1:29-31. Gossip is a poison that "goes down to a man's inmost parts"
according to Prob 18:8. Cursing similarly "enters into the body like water" and can be retained as a garment that one wears all the time (Psalm 109:17-19).

"
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" (Prov 12:18). This verse is different than the others because it contrasts the wickedness of the tongue to its potential for being instrumental for good; it can heal too! The tongue can be used for good too: for glorifying God, edifying and encouraging one another, for teaching, correcting, rebuking, singing, praying, etc.


Who knew the tongue could wear so many hats? Lies, flattery, pride, overuse, swift, backbiting, gossip, cursing, and recklessness.

"The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts... it is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." Jas 3:5-9

Please pray for me as I try to submit my words to Christ. I want to be exude truth and wisdom, not the poison I've been so quick to pour into my soul and others.

http://www.onhiatusphotos.com/PhotosD1/BDSC-006-8.jpg

By the way, in my research of the tongue, I learned that crocodiles can't move their tongues.

No comments: