Friday, December 5, 2008

First thing's first

Recently someone asked me what the first thing is that I would do when I went back to the States. I didn't have an answer then. But looking back now (I've been on American soil for a few hours), the first thing I did here that I wouldn't have done in Germany was to tell a joke to a stranger.

I'm quieter and more reserved in Germany- kind of dull really without the ability to connect with people through wise cracks. It was so nice to look around Detroit and soak up the confidence that came with seeing a sea of people that I could effectively communicate with. Ahh, the motherland.

I'm waiting for my flight from Detroit to Dallas but am happy to report that I haven't gotten sick yet!! I only slept for 3 hours last night, so I was able to sleep through most of the train ride from Basel to Frankfurt this morning. Then when I got to the airport, I met the love of my life... not really, but he was an excellent flight attendant. First of all, this German man thought I was German (which always makes me feel good and boosts my language confidence). When I found my seat, he asked if I planned on sleeping most of the time. When I answered yes, he asked the man sitting next to me if he'd like to move to another seat a few rows away. The dude followed the suggestion, then my attendant friend came back and told me that now I could stretch out between three seats and wished me pleasant dreams. That made all the difference. I slept through one of the snacks. When I awoke, he showed up with chocolate ice cream in hand, telling me he set some aside for me. And then, when there were some problems that had our plane going in circles for a while, and we landed 4 minutes after my next flight took off, he called and rebooked a ticket for this evening, which was hand delivered as soon as I got off the plane...along with a voucher for a free meal, some frequent flyer miles, and a discount coupon for my next flight. Nice! Who says money can't buy love?

One more flight, and then I get to be with Asha! Yay!!

No comments: