Monday, April 13, 2009

Back to the Fatherland

In the two weeks that I was gone to the States, spring hit western Europe in full swing. It's gorgeous here! Radiators are off and windows open- inviting the the pretty flowers to bring on my sneezing. I'm going out this afternoon, so I'll take some pictures for you guys. I hear local honey and tea are supposed to help negate allergies, so I plan to test that theory.

Next time I go to the States, I would like to go for 3 weeks. Two weeks was just too short to squeeze everything in! Most of my time was spent meeting with people one-on-one to talk about what's been going on in our lives for the last 9 months or so. Man, it was awesome. I didn't want to come back. One-on-one life talks and driving are my favorite things, and I got to do that for two whole weeks! No work, responsibility, bills... just good stuff, so of course I didn't want to leave.

Several people have asked about the Alabama license. I got it! So now I will try turning it in for a German one. I still can't legally drive here, but that's a step in the right direction.

The trip back was much less eventful than the way there. There were 14 people on my flight from Evansville to Detroit, so I had my own window and aisle seats. And from Detroit to Frankfurt I had the same set up. I got to curl up in a little ball on the two seats and sleep my way back to Germany. And there were no crinkling chip bags, snorers or mouth-breathers, or seat-kicking kids. Ahh...nice. I had Easter lunch with the Youngs and then spent the afternoon visiting with the RA folks who were congregated at Sonne.

When I moved here last summer, I brought 2 suitcases of clothes, a 5 gal Rubbermaid tub of shoes and books, a laptop, and a backpack. Although that is already PLENTY of stuff and much more than anyone needs to survive, this time I brought back some just-for-fun stuff to make this place feel like home. Like my ballet slippers... I've had them on all day, just because they make me feel dainty and make me want to dance. And CDs! I missed musical variety!! And my favorite jeans that are full or holes and covered in paint stains that will be of use when working on the dorms this summer. Some other completely unnecessary but much loved belongings to cross the pond: my favorite heels (aka witch shoes) that are completely safe on the flat roads of Indiana but will be hazardous on German cobblestone, hair extensions for those days when I miss having long hair, and Boggle.

Now, if you'll excuse me, a perfect song just came on to put my ballet slippers to use, so I need to go dance on my balcony.

No comments: