Thursday, April 23, 2009

Things I Ponder

Lately I've been wondering what it takes to have genuine, healthy community.
I wonder what it takes for adults to share their joys and struggles earnestly.
I wonder how to encourage students to not be naive without simultaneously corrupting or scaring them.
I wonder how to train them up to respect the urgent things in life but to focus on the important.
I wonder what it is in the fields between Palm & Feuerbach that makes my allergies kick into high gear.
I wonder why Dave Barnes' songs, more than other artists', make my heart like butter.
I wonder what life will be like this summer without students or most of the staff around. I hope that I'll use the free time to pray and do something about these things that make me think... and maybe I'll go to Mallorca to ride a motorcycle across the island. Maybe :)

I've been writing back and forth with a friend in the States about the genuine community thing, and he's been a big encouragement. Thanks Jake! Please join me in praying for the BFA community (where we happen to live) to be a place in which lives are changed for Christ.

I know I have not been pulling my weight in encouraging the community. I know our faith is not about how often we study the Bible, how many prayer groups we go to or anything works-related. But how can I pour my life into the students I am here to serve if I am not constantly having my cup filled? And I haven't been. Please pray for a new passion to spend quality time with our God. More than anything else... more than wanting to chop down the pretty trees by Feuerbach so I can run without sneezing... I want to want to know God more richly. I want to want it.

My friend Guy (thanks Guy!) has also been helping me talk through community, and he sent me this video on relationships.

Unfortunately I'm not technically savvy enough to know how to put the video directly on here, but that's the link to it on facebook.

1 comment:

Guy Walker said...

Hey Sarah,
I though you were going to say you have been talking to your friend GUY. oh well tell "jake" I said hey.

We just did a relationship series at church. this was the outline.

Access: the time you allow them Disclosure: How much you tell them Expectations: they must be well defined.

We have different expectations from everyone, but... I'm just gonna send you the video on FB.