Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I love the RAs

Before coming to Germany, people told me that moving overseas would teach me things about myself. Here's what I've learned: I am much more extroverted than I ever knew. I always knew I was energized by being with people, but now, I crave being with people! And the RAs have been so wonderful. Today 3 of them came by my office & 2 left a "love note" (females) on my car. Aww... It's a good combination that when they get time off they need a place to go and that I have a place and love people using it! The last several Mondays (the day they get off every week), people have been at my apartment with and without me there- which makes me really happy to know that they are comfortable enough with me to know that I like them being there even when I'm not. And this weekend I got to hang out with the guys that had the whole weekend off. It was so nice to spend some time with Y chromosomes. Friday we got Doner (*meat happy dance*) and watched a movie. Saturday we spent a leisurely hot chocolate afternoon at a cafe and went to Freiburg for Mexican! Then another movie and some good talk time. So wonderful, but now I recognize what it is I miss most about the United States...not my family (I'm sorry! I love you all!!!), not food, not being able to laugh at jokes...I miss having guy friends. I'm not sure why I can't seem to make solid connections here, but just trying to have a real conversation with most leaves me feeling like they think I'm trying to flirt with them (does that make sense?). And the few that I have been able to have meaningful conversation with have been subject to the wagging tongues of destructive joking and gossip. So right now, I'm bummed. I have some excellent girlfriends here, but I feel lop-sided without my guys around to balance out life. Please pray for some quality friendships.

No comments: