Sunday, November 2, 2008

Being Genuine

Happy Sunday. Today I craved some church time in English. I've been going to FeG, a German church in Kandern, for two primary reasons: to practice German and to make friends that are not also BFA coworkers. It has definitely served those purposes. I understand most of the services and have joined a small group and made some friends. But today I wanted to know that I understood the sermon... all of it... so I had home church and listened to Pastor Dave's sermon called "Be Genuine" from a few weeks ago at CFC.

The main point was that it is easier to practice religion than to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.

Take heed that you do not do your charitble deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Matt 6.1

So this got me thinking about the condition of my heart- what I do that is practicing religion instead of loving God. And when I serve if I'm doing that out of genuine love for God and those I'm serving or if it's mixed in with some selfish desire to be noticed. I want so badly to be genuine- that everything I say and do be in response to Christ and not at all to impress others. But I'm a prideful and self-exalting person; so maybe I should just stop talking :] When words are many, sin is not lacking, right?

It also makes me think about what I do out of obligation and what I do because I want to. For example, people expected me to be at FeG this morning, but if I had gone, that would have been the only reason why- to fulfill the expectations of others'. So I had a good time in the Word at home and prayed that next week I will have a legitimate desire to fellowship with others.

Just to clarify, there is an English-speaking church at BFA called BFCF, but I've learned that I can't be there and not work. I want to meet with other believers for the purpose of growing closer to God while encouraging and being encouraged- not doing things to get a head start on the work week.

Love God. Love people. Serve. Be peacemakers. And be genuine in all of it. Wouldn't that be incredible?

No comments: