Thursday, January 1, 2009

Guests

Who knew that someone incessantly ringing my doorbell at 2:30am would make my day? But that's exactly what happened a few nights ago. I very rarely sleep whole nights through, so I was actually awake when the doorbell rang... and rang... and rang. It took me a few seconds to remember that I don't live alone, and that if I don't answer the door that one of the other girls will. So I bolted down my shaky spiral staircase to Katie and Cara's floor. Cara was already talking to whomever woke her up... Andy! He had some travel complications, and after a lot of walking in France and an expensive cab ride, he showed up here... at 2:30 in the morning. Katie and Cara ushered him in, listening to his story and making tea while I carried his bags upstairs and made my room guy friendly. (I stayed in the guest room with Cara).

The thing that made my night was that Andy knew he would be welcome here. I love that. I love people, and I love providing a getaway for them. So it made me happy that he felt comfortable enough with us to wake us up, throw his bags in the hall, and let us take care of him. My home has an open door but is useless if no one ever walks through it. I'm glad when people do.

The next morning, we took Andy to the guys' place. And the following I took Cara to the airport. Going from a full house to an empty one (Katie was gone with friends too) made me sad. So I tried to go snowboarding again, but it was too icy. Then I tried to track down friends; the guys were busy. The girls were scattered among other friends, boyfriends, and knitting. So I showed up at the Chasteens (family with whom I spent Christmas day) because they seem like open door kinda people too. Twas fun to be with a family.

And today, another guest comes!! A surprise visit from an Evansvillian! LaDawn has been visiting a friend in France for a couple weeks and decided to check out Germany while she's here. So with her, Cara and her mom coming soon, and dogsitting two pooches next week, I'll have plenty of people (and animals) to love :)

It reminds me of my dream to run a halfway house. That would be such an incredible ministry- to offer second chances to those who can't find them anywhere else and challenge them to make the most of the chance. Loving people practically, occasionally getting in their faces, and showing them the forgiveness of Christ. Oh I would love that. This picture, by the way, is of the Blackwell House in Anderson, IN.

No comments: