Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May for Memories

I am still ecstatic for all the things about which I've recently been reeling- people expressing a common desire for real community, getting to live with students, and hopefully being able to drive again soon (although I put 800km on my car driving to Frankfurt today, shh!)

But for me, May is a month of remembrance. There are lots of wonderful things to remember this month. Nana & Jenny's birthdays. Graduations and proms. Big soccer games. But there are also tough things. I've known 8 people who have committed suicide, and all but one have been in April or May. I always kind of feel like I'm holding my breath during the Spring, not just because of allergies, but also hoping that I'll make it through the season without going to a funeral of a friend. Sunday night I pulled out their fading obituaries to remind myself of the importance of relationships.

God designed us for relationships. It is not good to be indefinitely alone. A quote from my friend Amy's obit from 2002 reads "All Amy wanted was to succeed. And she did. She succeeded in touching all of us." But she didn't know that. She used to send me the most random emails. I didn't even think we were particularly close, but she would write emails just telling me about her day as if it were commonplace for us to share even the inconsequential things in life. And I could probably count on one hand how many times I wrote her back.

I know none of these were my fault, and I'm not looking for anyone to remind me of that. I want to encourage you all to really really love the people in your life. Tell them what they mean to you even if it means making you vulnerable. Stop being so busy and make time to shoot the breeze together. Return emails, even if they seem insignificant. Drive friends to the airport at 3:30am. Don't be afraid to show affection or say the word LOVE. And most importantly, share the reason for the hope that you have.

1 comment:

Jenny B said...

beautiful! i love you sis. You are amazing and i truly am enjoying watching God shape you!
love you!
Jenny