Thursday, May 7, 2009

Who Loves Driving? I Do!

Is there a cloud above cloud nine? Because that's where I am :)

Another miracle! I should have a German driver's license in a few weeks!!!!

Here's how it works: I needed to get the mayor's office to stamp my application as proof that I actually reside here. Then the German version of the BMV known as the Fuehrersteinstelle at the Landratsamt for Landkreis Loerrach approves the application. I pay and then wait three weeks or so until I get a card in the mail telling me my German license (valid for life) is ready to be picked up.

Last time I got all the way through the stamping, initial approval, and payment. And then got a phone call saying it wouldn't work because of the seizure medical restriction I had on my Indiana license. So I'm not totally convinced that this will work until I actually have the license in hand, but I'd say it's about 95% certain because the guy that did the work today is the rule stickler who looked everything over three times and asked questions for clarification while I was still there.

So here's what happened today. I took my application to the mayor's office. The man that does the stamping, who knows me (and therefore might remember that I've already done this once) was not in. A woman unfamiliar with all the steps was. She wrote the thing I knew would be the hangup at the next place big and clearly- the date I moved to Germany. For a moment I thought about how I could write over the date to make it work... you know like adding an extra leg to an F to make it an A. But of course I wouldn't do that.... and there's no good way to turn 25.07.2008 into 25.04.2009.

The drive to Loerrach is about 20 minutes. It was 20 minutes of intermingled prayer and practicing how I would try to explain (in German) how it was that I got an Alabama driver's license while living in Germany while still maintaining my permanent home in Indiana- offering an Indiana license that expired in 2006 as proof.

The Fuehrersteinstelle lines are normally worse than an American BMV because there is no check in procedure. Your name or number doesn't get called. Everyone just stands in a clump in a hallway trying to remember who was there before them. Also, normally, there have been just two people working: one woman who denied my application the first time who knows the ins and outs of my whole license fiasco and the man in the corner office with a really thick accent. So, normally, the herd stands in the hallway waiting for one of these two people to flip the switch that turns on a green light above their door, meaning “next victim.”

Today there was no line. And there were five doors lit up- four red and one green. I took a deep breath, switched my mind to thinking in German and walked in to the thick accent guy's office. I've worked with him before but usually tried to steer clear when possible because he is so difficult for me to understand! But yet again, today was different. I understood him, and he understood me. I was using words that I haven't used since high school vocabulary tests- words I don't even remember.

He poured over the application, his computer screen and two different books. He called someone in and mumbled something to her too low for me to articulate. I practiced how I would break the bad news to Lane and Michelle. And then he hit me with it...

“I'm sorry Miss Haymond. The problem is that your license was issued since you've been living here in Germany. So we unfortunately have to follow the reciprocity law for your previous license. I see this Indiana one expired in 2006, do you have a newer one?”

I did not give him a copy of the 2006-2009 Indiana license with the medical restriction on it because I figured it would bring up extra questions. “Yes I had another, but it was also Indiana.”

“Ok, I don't need to see it then. But that means you will have to take the written test, an eye examination and pay an extra 8 Euros.”

“That's the bad news?”

“Yes, I'm sorry.”

“No! No! That's great! That's fine! I'll take the test!” I might have been a little too enthusiastic at this point.

I signed the form for the test and license and payed (again). He said he'd see me in a few weeks when it's ready.

Yay!!!! The next step is studying and taking the written test. We had 5 staff members who also had to do this earlier in the year, and none of them passed the first time. But I think I can. Thanks so much for your prayers! I was told many times that this wouldn't work, but here's proof that God is bigger than laws. And sometimes laws are worth fighting.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Yessss! (accompanied by an enthusiastic pull-down arm-pump)

Little Sarah - Big God.