Friday, July 4, 2008

Another praise

I just made the "Answered Prayers" section a few days ago but just realized that I forgot a big one! My teeth are still holdin on!! Woohoo! For my new BFA friends who didn't know me a few months ago, here's the story: I love teeth. I worked in the orthodontic field for the last three years. I don't think I've ever gotten a job or date without mention of my smile. This past November, my very generous boss paid for a VNA nurse to come to the office and give all his employees flu shots. I've never had a flu shot before, but since he already took care of it, I stepped up to get stuck. I'm told that I got the shot, said thanks, turned around, and faceplanted. I don't remember that though. I remember waking up with my boss smashing something into my mouth and wondering to myself- since I couldn't talk- if I didn't have lips or a tongue; something definitely didn't feel right. One of my front teeth came all the way out, two were pushed back into the palette of my mouth, and the lips were just a mess. My superhero boss and coworkers got an oral surgeon on the phone to talk them through what to do. Everything was back in place (or pretty darn close) and braces were put on me before the ambulance got there. So, now you understand why it's a praise that my teeth are still in. Several stitches, 2 fractured jaws, 2 weeks of liquid diet, 3 root canals, 7 months of braces, and 1 numb lower lip later, I'm happy to have a smile that is mostly mine.

No comments: